What Makes The Best Push Mower ?
When shopping for the best push mower there a few things to keep in mind to help you with your purchase. First, understand that some push mowers can have a self propelled feature. This feature when engaged will engage the drive and the mower will move forward automatically. Self propelled mowers can be front wheel drive, rear wheel drive and all-wheel drive.
I personally dont prefer this type of mower. Mainly because it limits your walking speed to how fast the mower is moving. One advantage is they require less effort to operate, this type of machine is recommended for larger yards (over 1/3 acre) or terrain with hills.
Second, just because a mower is expensive doesn’t mean it’s better. Some mowers may have more features than others but when it comes to a quality cut the blade is most important. It’s imperative to make sure the mower you decide on will fit all your needs. There is nothing worse than spending extra money on options that will go unused or inconvenience you while operating.
Features in the Best Push Mower
Some key features when shopping for the best push mower.
- Cutting width- the length of the cutting blades in which your machine will cut after each pass.
- Wheel size- larger rear wheel will make for easy maneuverability
- Cutting speed- single speed or variable speed
- Wash port- makes for easy access when washing the underside of your deck
- Engine displacement- measured in cubic centimeters (cc) which is basically how powerful the engine is.
- Battery or Gasoline- Battery powered mowers have become increasingly popular. Which fits your needs?
Push mowers are also known for being easy to maintain and repair. Unlike riding mowers push mowers require very basic maintenance. To learn more about riding lawn mowers than check this out.
Lets check out what you’ve been waiting for, the best of the best. Here are some of the best push mowers on the market not in order.
Husqvarna 7021P 21-Inch
- Engine type: Honda GCV160
- Gross torque: 6.9 pound per foot
- Cylinder displacement: 160 cc
- Fuel tank volume: 0.98 quart
- Width of cut: 21 inches
- Height of cut: 1.5 to 3.5 inches
- Cutting height increments: 6
- Adjustments of cutting height: 4-point
Another quality machine by Husqvarna. This economical push mowers size makes it easy to maneuver in tight spaces. Three different cutting abilities allow for collection, side discharge and mulching. A folding handle allows for easy storage and transport. Double bearing wheels make for smooth operation and continuous strength.
Lawn Boy 10734
- Mulch, Bag, Side Discharge: 3-in-1 Ready, Side-Discharge Optional, No Tools Require
- Engine: 6.5 ft.-lbs. Gross Torque Kohler® XTX OHV*
- Cutting System: Tri-Cut
- Starter: Electric
- Self-Propel System: Variable Speed RWD
- Cutting Width: 21″ (53 cm)
- Height of Cut: 6 Position 1.25” – 3.75” (3.1 cm – 9.5 cm)
For homeowners on the search for an inexpensive walk-behind that isnt stripped of quality and durability the Lawn Boy 10734 is the perfect choice. This gas operated, self propelled walk behind mower will get the job done with ease. One thing you wont miss with this machine the pull cord start that most mowers have. Give your arm a brake and give the Lawn Boy 10734 a try, ou wont be dissapointed.
Greenworks 25022 – Electric
- Weight: 56 lbs
- Amps: 12
- Cut Height: 1 1/2-3 3/4 in.
- Height Settings: 7
- Width of cut: 20 in.
- Discharge: Side & rear
- Drive: Manual
The Greenworks’ 25022 12 Amp 20 in. 3-in-1 Electric Lawn Mower offers a reliable and smooth machine that operates as efficiently as it does simply. A powerful 12 Amp electric motor, takes on various mowing tasks with no problem at all. A solid stamped steel deck and 20 in. wide cutting capacity offer great maneuverability and performance, making the 25022 an ideal mower for homeowners with mid-sized lawns.
Worx Lil’Mow WG775 Electric Mower
- Max cut area average per charge: 6,000 FT²
- Rated voltage: 24V
- Width of deck: 14″
- Height of cut range: 2″-3.5″
- Charging time: 4-5 Hrs.
- Mower weight: 32 Lbs
- Warranty: 3 Years
The WORX 24V 14″ cordless mower gives you three different options of cutting in one small machine. Say good bye to oil, gas and the smell of exhaust with this cordless 24 volt mower. Give yourself piece of mind with the Worx 3 Year Warranty & 30 Day Money Back Guarantee.
Keep in mind that no matter what your needs, there is a mower that will fit them. Just do your homework and get the mower that’s best for you. These walk behind reviews will have you well on your way to finding the push mower that best fits you. For more lawn mower reviews take a look at these. Remember that only you can know which machine is the best push mower for you. Once you understand your mowing needs, you’ll have a much better understanding as to which mower is best for you.