Two comments I hear the most are “I wish I had a garden like that at my house” and how do you do that”. With a little bit of effort, persistence and know how everyone is able to have the garden they want. A garden which gives you fresh air, tasty vegetables, and keeps you engaged in a healthy activity. For many, it is merely a dream. This is because you are unaware of how easy it is and don’t have basic garden knowledge. The first thing you need to know is that your hands will get muddy. Secondly, it will require a significant amount of time, on a daily basis. Third, the joy you will have when plants start growing and you harvest organic vegetables will be unmatchable.
If you’re a beginner at gardening then make sure you have the following basic tools at your exposure in advance:
- A Trowel: It is a small hand tool used for soil digging, spreading and leveling.
- A Hoe or weeding tool: Hoe is used for removing weed from your garden. It has a long handle with a metal blade at the far end of it.
- A Pruner: It is used to prune the branches of trees and shrubs.
- A Spade: A spade has a long handle with metal attached to its one end. It is used for digging purposes.
If you have these tools than your ready to start your garden and get to work. There are, however, certain basic things you need to know about gardening.
Planting A Seed or Plant
The most basic step in starting your gardening career is planting a seed. All other procedures follow this step. If you don’t know how to plant a seed right correctly, than you’ll have a hard time growing anything.
Here are a few tips to help in planting a seed:
- Amend the Soil: Without good garden soil nothing will grow. Some things to add- Humus, bagged garden soil & organic matter.
- Dig Ground: It’s important to loosen or rototill the soil. If the soil is not loosened than the roots will be unable to penetrate the hardened ground.
- Water: Water thoroughly without drowning, keep moist.
- Plant Seed: Place a seed, cover with dirt add some more water on it. If planted to deep your plant will not grow. Always read seed packages for best grow times for each zone. If planting a small plant instead of a seed be careful not to plant too deep or too shallow, both will prevent it from growing properly.
- Water Again: In the end, water the spot where you have planted the seed. Watering is single handedly the most important part of gardening. In most cases either too much or not enough water is the cause of your problem in the garden.
In a few days to over a week you will notice seeds begin to sprout. You’re on your way to having a beautiful garden.
When your plants grow up to an optimum height, add compost to accelerate their growth. Compost is the dead remain of plants, leaves, vegetables, and other organic materials. Compost acts as a fertilizer as it furthers the growth rate of your plants. However, due to the absence of chemicals, it is completely organic.
Watering your Plants
When you sow a seed and the small plants sprout from the ground, you’ll need to be very cautious, with their care. Water is a basic necessity for the growth of your plants. But, an excess of water could damage your garden. You should water at least once a day with exceptions. Always check the soil moisture than determine if water is needed.
- Choose your Plant: Sustainable gardening demands you to waste a minimum amount of water. So, during the watering session, choose you plants and water them individually.
- Water Roots: Start watering from the base of the plant. Ones established a soaker hose is ideal. Watering foliage will lead to plant disease especially if watering in late day or at night.
Garden weeds hinder the growth of your plants and reduce the beauty of your place. You will have to spend time on weed management. The aim is to remove weeds from the garden, allowing more space and nutrients to your plants.
There are multiple ways which you can control the growth of weeds in your garden:
- Hand Pull: Use your hands to pull out each, individual, weed plant from the ground. This is a process but the end results are a clean garden and the healthy growth of plants.
- Use a Hoe: You can use a hoe to get rid of garden weed as well. Drag the weed plants using it and then remove then remove them using your hands.
- Spread Mulch: You can spread mulch on the soil in your garden to impede the growth of weeds from the start.
To learn more amazing ways to remove or reduce weeds naturally, without the use of harmful chemicals than check this out!
If proper action is not taken against the removal of weeds, then the growth of plants could drastically be reduced and they will eventually overtake your garden.
Pests are an important part of our ecosystem. There is no denying the fact that you cannot get rid of them through natural and organic means. Many people think that bugs are all bad and try to illuminate them from the garden. Although some pests are bad, many are beneficial and some we as humans couldn’t survive without, so don’t kill them all! Find out here why bees play such an important role in our survival.
There often comes a time when you need to move a plant from one place to the other. This is a critical process as carelessness can cause severe damage to your plant.
The right process to transplant in your garden:
- Dig up the plant with a good amount of soil around the roots creating a rootball. Water the roots and try to keep as much of the root ball intact. Dig a hole where you want to place the plant and beshore to measure the size of the root ball in order to dig the correct new home for your plant. Transplanting to deep can cause major problems.
- Watering is crucial at this time and a root fertilizer can be beneficial also.
- Transplanting should never be done under extreme temperatures or when your plants are under stress
These are some of the basic things which an organic gardener should know about gardening. Furthermore, there are some tips which we will like to share with you as well:
- Go Slow: Don’t haste with the growth of plants. They take time to grow. So be patient.
- Check on the Progress: Keep a thorough check on the progress of your plants.
- Realize and Fix: If you run into problems realize what went wrong, plant again and correct the issue.
It is very important to enjoy yourself while gardening. You should be passionate about it. Only then you will be able to give requisite time and energy, which is necessary for their growth. Gardening is therapeutic for many people and it can be for you to!